5 February 2014
In an interview with a Kuwaiti newspaper, defence minister Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi confirms he will stand in Egypt’s looming presidential elections
Egypt’s army chief Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Defence minister Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi said on Thursday he will run for Egypt president in elections that he is widely expected to win easily, according to a Kuwaiti newspaper.
Al-Seyassah published a lengthy interview with Sisi in which he reportedly said he “would fulfill the people’s demands to run for president.”
The 59-year-old was recently given the green light by Egypt’s military council to contest the first presidential elections after the army toppled Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in July amid mass protests against his rule.
Sisi, who was also promoted to field marshal from general, is expected to step down as the army chief before seeking election.
Presidential polls should take place between 17 February and 18 April after interim president Adly Mansour decided to bring it forward, contradicting a roadmap drawn up following Morsi’s ouster which would have seen parliamentary elections take place first.
The first phase of the roadmap was completed last month when Egyptians voted overwhelmingly in favour of a new constitution.