ICC delays Kenyatta trial start

April 1, 2014
BBC

Uhuru Kenyatta maintains that the ICC has no case against him
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta’s trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) has been postponed to October.

The delay was intended to give the the government more time to “provide certain records” to the prosecution, the ICC said in a statement.

Mr Kenyatta is charged with being behind the ethnic violence surrounding the presidential election in 2007.

He denies organising the clashes in which 1,200 people died.

This is the third time the trial has been postponed.

“The purpose of the adjournment is to provide the government of Kenya with a further, time-limited opportunity to provide certain records, which the prosecution had previously requested,” the ICC said.

‘False evidence’

In January, the prosecution was granted a three-month delay so that it could collect more evidence.

Mr Kenyatta – backed by the African Union (AU) – has pushed for the case to be dropped.

He accuses the ICC of being political, and undermining Kenya’s sovereignty.

The ICC denies the allegation, saying it is trying to achieve justice for victims of the violence.

In December, the prosecution said it needed more time to carry out investigations following the loss of two key witnesses.

One witness had refused to testify and the other had given false evidence, it said.

Mr Kenyatta’s deputy, William Ruto, is on trial on similar charges at the ICC.

He and Mr Ruto were on opposite sides of the 2007 election, but formed an alliance for the 2013 election that propelled them to power.

BBC


Print Friendly